top of page
GUOS Emblem.png

Grand United Order of Salem

wilmington-daily-record_11-10-1898.jpeg

OUR HISTORY

The Grand United Order of Salem traces its documented history to Wilmington, North Carolina, where the Sons and Daughters of Salem were active as early as 1889. It is believed that the documents pertaining to the founding of the Order were intentionally destroyed during the Wilmington Massacre of 1898. The Order was legally incorporated on January 23, 1901, although its original founding occurred earlier. In 1925, the organization officially adopted the name Grand United Order of Salem.


The Order welcomed both men and women between the ages of 15 and 60, making it one of the few coeducational fraternal organizations of its era. Women played an important role from the beginning and historically served in leadership positions, including as Grand Presidents.


Membership represented a broad cross-section of the community, including politicians, clergymen, educators, blue-collar workers, farmers, and other respected local leaders. Lodges were established in cities and small towns throughout eastern and southeastern North Carolina, including communities in Duplin, New Hanover, and Robeson counties.


The Order combined fellowship with service. Local lodges supported churches, organized activities for young people, assisted members during hardship, and helped families with burial and funeral expenses. Its history reflects a lasting commitment to unity, benevolence, community leadership, and mutual support.

bottom of page